Friday, August 17, 2012

Rome: Day Two

For day two in Rome we started off the day touring around town with our lovely guide-Claudia. She is fabulous and will be taking us around for the next few days. Before going into the Pantheon, we picked up a cup of coffee from one of the best coffee  shops in Rome-Tazza d' Orro.

In Italy, rather than taking your coffee to go, everyone stands and drinks at the bar. 




Pastries on Pastries 



The Pantheon 

The largest dome ceiling ever constructed  

The whole in the center of the dome is not covered up at all, so when it rains it falls on the floor creating those four dots in the middle of the square.  

 



The tomb of the first King of Rome 





Beautiful marble carvings on the outside of the Pantheon 




Basilica Di Santa Maria


Lines on the wall show what level water flooded too  

Tombs in the ground 


One of the many statues of Popes in the Basilica di Santa Maria. I made sure to get a picture of this one, because according to Claudia he was a big partier.  

Beautiful town square




Pretty artwork 

One of the best gelato places in Rome 

Basilica di San Pietro  

To get into the church, you are suppose to wear clothes that cover your knees and shoulders. Soo Julia and I kinda had to sneak in.

Michelangelo's Moses




By lunch time I could not wait to sit down and eat. Maybe it was the heat, but I felt like I had walked 100 miles. 

Bruschetta with tomatoes, olives, and artichokes. I devoured this!

After a big lunch and a couple glasses of vino I hit the bed hard when I got back to the hotel. At times like these I'm just glad I am not in class yet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment