Monday, August 20, 2012

Rome: Day Four

Last stop on our list of tours in Rome- The Vatican! 



So many statues

Creepy. The only statues that were smiling. 

The largest bathtub I have ever seen 

The Muses 

A sphinx..along with many Asian tourists 

Gorgeous painting on the ceiling  



Everyone wants to see baby Jesus

One of the many maps in the Vatican of regions of Italy


Behind us are dozens of intricate paintings of parts of Italy

Gryffindor?  

 The entire map of Italy!

Sorry, but this is my only picture from the Sistine Chapel. They were very strict about us not taking pictures. Soo I had to sneak one with my phone from my purse. Obviously this picture does not do justice to how beautiful it truly is. 

The largest church in the world. And inside...

The Pieta 

 You can't tell, but in this picture I am touching a cross. Everyone was doing this for good luck. 

Another good luck charm- touching Jesus' left foot on this statue

Also, there was a huge line to see the tombs of four of the past Popes. Oh and did I mention that they were glass tombs, so you could actually see their mummified bodies. I made sure to skip that line. 

Gorgeous dome ceiling 

The writing that lined the top of the entire church is real solid gold. Amazing. 





We look so tiny compared to everything! 

The shutter are close which means the Pope was not home 

The entire Vatican City is in the shape of a key. Very symbolic.


One last family picture in Rome!

That was the last of our touring around in Rome! Now off to Positano! 


No comments:

Post a Comment